Kartonist.de
Register Calendar Search Frequently Asked Questions

Kartonist.de » Luftfahrt » Abgeschlossene Bauberichte » (FERTIG) F7F Tigercat - FlyModel - 1/33 » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page (FERTIG) F7F Tigercat - FlyModel - 1/33
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ricleite Ricleite is a male
Kartonist

Registration Date: 15.09.2009

Fertige Bauberichte (FERTIG) F7F Tigercat - FlyModel - 1/33 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I already have this kit for quite some time but, without a suitable Group Build running in the Portuguese forum, it would likely continue to wait on the shelf.
FlyModel is reputed to be somewhat problematic in terms of fit. I didn’t really confirm this reputation in the BAC Lightning but the Tigercat kit is much older. In general, the older, the more "dangerous". While the Lightning is number 146, the Tigercat is number 2! The positive part is that this kit was released in several versions and I guess that my copy belongs to the latest edition. In the previous releases, for example, the engines were not modelled.
FlyModel kits are printed on A3 booklets, with a solid card on the back and a beautiful painting on the cover. This kit has 6 coloured sheets, a sheet of thin paper, black and white, and four pages of instructions. The pictures give a good idea of what awaits me in the near future.

Ricleite has attached these images (downsized versions):
Tigercat.jpg Tigercat-C001.jpg
Tigercat-C002.jpg Tigercat-C003.jpg
Tigercat-C004.jpg

12.04.2012 14:39 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
Kartonist

Thread Starter Thread Started by Ricleite
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Pages with the parts (in low resolution...).

Tigercat-C005.jpg Tigercat-C006.jpg

12.04.2012 14:40 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
airgoon airgoon is a male
Kartonist - Goldene Schere 2010

Registration Date: 18.07.2008
Herkunft: Toronto, ON, Kanada Selbstgekrönter Forengoon

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi Ric,
I'm very excited to see you build this model.
I built it a couple of years ago in the Forum of admanistrative self-exaltation and found that this turned out to be a very rewarding model.
No problems with fit or anything, nice detail, good graphics, nothing to be unhappy about at all. I even got the wings to fold although I usually concoct my own methods for mechanical stuff like this.

And not only is the building process a lot of fun, but the finished model itself is also quite spectacular, even when the building fun is over.

The only parts I remember that didn't fit were the tiny little formers for the ailerons - they were too big. But then - how picky can you get? Keine Ahnung

All I can say is - you're in for a real treat and I'm sure so are we Kartonist Kartonist Kartonist

Kind regards,
Norm

Versemmelte Werke unschuldig
=====================
Ärgern
12.04.2012 16:21 Send an Email to airgoon Search for Posts by airgoon Add airgoon to your Buddy List Canada
Royaloakmin Royaloakmin is a male
TEAM

Registration Date: 30.12.2007
Herkunft: Windsor, ON Canada
: ADMINISTRATOR

Go, Ricardo, go! Kartonist Kartonist Kartonist

Under Construction

Zvonce, Ondrej Hejl, 1:150 scale

My works
12.04.2012 19:44 Send an Email to Royaloakmin Search for Posts by Royaloakmin Add Royaloakmin to your Buddy List United States
Goroda-san Goroda-san is a male
Kartonist

Registration Date: 07.07.2011
Herkunft: Prague, CZ

Hi Ricardo,

I can count about 36 reasons why I will never build this aircraft! chuckle

Kind regards and happy building!

Adam

Soon to be abandoned: Ju-87 R2 Stuka - KW - 1:33

Abandoned: Kawanishi N1K2-J Shiden-kai - Halinski - 1:33 , HMS Abdiel - Answer - 1:200
12.04.2012 19:54 Send an Email to Goroda-san Search for Posts by Goroda-san Add Goroda-san to your Buddy List Czech Republic

quote:
I can count about 36 reasons why I will never build this aircraft!

That was exactly the reason WHY I had to build it!!! Freude
Half of the parts you're thinking of you can leave out anyway because you won't see them once the cowlings are put on unschuldig unschuldig unschuldig  Große grinsen

=====================
Ärgern
13.04.2012 00:08 Send an Email to airgoon Search for Posts by airgoon Add airgoon to your Buddy List Canada
Henni Henni is a male
Kartonist

Registration Date: 19.05.2010
Herkunft: Rheinland

quote:
Original von airgoon
I built it a couple of years ago in the Forum of admanistrative self-exaltation and found that this turned out to be a very rewarding model.

lachen lachen

Hi Ric,

I'm looking forward to see another masterpiece!!

Aktuell:
-

Pausiert:
- Modelik F/A-18F Super Hornet

Fertig:
guckst Du hier
13.04.2012 07:43 Send an Email to Henni Search for Posts by Henni Add Henni to your Buddy List United States
Gerd Gerd is a male
Kartonist

Registration Date: 17.08.2009
Herkunft: Kleinostheim am Main (By)

Hello Ricardo,
I am looking forward in this counstruction report of a rarely seen model.
The kit is looking pretty good.
Greets Gerd

meine misshandelten Werke
13.04.2012 08:08 Send an Email to Gerd Search for Posts by Gerd Add Gerd to your Buddy List Germany
Kartonist

Well, glad you are "in" Prost
@ Norm - It is great that your building pictures didn't evaporate and they will surely be very useful! I'm a bit wary of all those movable parts unschuldig
@ Adam - You can read below how many parts has each of your 36 reasons Augenzwinkern On the other hand, the clear assembly I'll not dare to name looks fairly simple smiley

The Tigercat is endowed with two huge radial engines, Pratt & Whitney R-2800, with 18 cylinders each. In the kit, each cylinder has 19 parts, excepting the rods and the intake and exhaust pipes. By adding the engine core parts, they take well over half of the total. For those who do not have patience, the kit has a simpler version in which each engine takes only 1 (one!) part. It consists on paper circle, suitably printed.
So, I decided to take the bull by the horns or, rather, the Tigercat by the engines.
The pictures show the core sections of the engines. From now on and for quite a while, the work will be somewhat repetitive...

Tigercat-C007.jpg Tigercat-C008.jpg
Tigercat-C009.jpg Tigercat-C010.jpg

16.04.2012 15:04 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal

Just make sure you keep the dogs away from those two big parts that have those eighteen white circles on them... chuckle

Regards,
Norm

=====================
Ärgern
18.04.2012 00:40 Send an Email to airgoon Search for Posts by airgoon Add airgoon to your Buddy List Canada
Gerd Gerd is a male
Kartonist

Hello Ricardo,
the radial engines are the highlight of a plane and therefore it would be just a crime not to built it. Unfortunately the engines will be hidden by the cowlings later but maybe you construct some transperent cowlings.
This would be an absolute highlight. chuckle
Greets
Gerd

18.04.2012 08:46 Send an Email to Gerd Search for Posts by Gerd Add Gerd to your Buddy List Germany
Kartonist

Dogs, cats and birds, Norm  Große grinsen No problem with tigercats - they are used to it Augenzwinkern
@ Gerd - you are right! It would be a pity if the engines were to be hidden forever traurig I hope to be able to make detachable cowlings.

A single photograph and 108 parts. It shows the inner section of the cylinders. Each has three parts: a circular cap, the body (painted) and an inner tab, which I exchanged for a roll of paper.

Ricleite has attached this image (reduced version):
Tigercat-C011.jpg

18.04.2012 14:48 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
Kartonist

The cylinder heads are the next on the line. They look like truncated cones but it is not the case. The base section is circular, unlike the top. The paper rolls I added serve to hold the base section and leave room to tune the top shape, when the time comes. I choose to open the holes to simplify the adjustment of air intake and exhaust pipes. The original tab was replaced with a similar one, cut out in thinner paper.

Tigercat-C012.jpg Tigercat-C013.jpg

20.04.2012 14:39 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
Speedsix Speedsix is a male
Kartonist

Registration Date: 19.08.2009
Herkunft: Kirchhain / Hessen

Hi Rick,

I like radials - as long as I don´t have to work on them!
I really admire the neat way you build those monsters, I never could do it this clean. You got my kudos.

Regards, Martin

19.07.2014: Baubeginn Opel Blitz, Schreiber, 1:24 für Wettbewerb Kartonmodell des Jahres 2015
19.07.2014 fertig: Lancia Stratos , ymjr design, 1:24
www.kartonist.de. Denn Kartonbau darf auch Spaß machen.
Old cardboard kits don´t die, they just lose their parts... unschuldig
Und immer schön dran denken: Jedes Modell ist nur die Vorübung für das nächste!
20.04.2012 20:27 Send an Email to Speedsix Search for Posts by Speedsix Add Speedsix to your Buddy List Germany
Kartonist

You used the exact word, Martin: monsters! They are quite bigger than all other radial engines I have assembled so far and it makes life a bit easier smiley

Continuing with the cylinder heads, today’s pictures show the base caps and a few pieces of cardboard, near the top. They serve to set the correct head width and to provide bonding surface for the top part.

Tigercat-C014.jpg Tigercat-C015.jpg

26.04.2012 10:06 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
Gerd Gerd is a male
Kartonist

Hello Ricardo,
Building the cylinders was a real battle but your are the splendid winner. They are looking wonderful.
Greets
Gerd

26.04.2012 11:31 Send an Email to Gerd Search for Posts by Gerd Add Gerd to your Buddy List Germany

This aircraft is basically two big engines with a bit of sheet metal in between...
Must have been one powerful brute!

Greetings,
Norm

=====================
Ärgern
26.04.2012 23:40 Send an Email to airgoon Search for Posts by airgoon Add airgoon to your Buddy List Canada
Kartonist

Hi Norm,
it took me a bit longer to understand your joke about the dogs. The crankcases indeed look like a fire hydrant. chuckle

Rick: A true work of love. Keep it up!

Regards, Martin

19.07.2014: Baubeginn Opel Blitz, Schreiber, 1:24 für Wettbewerb Kartonmodell des Jahres 2015
26.04.2012 23:47 Send an Email to Speedsix Search for Posts by Speedsix Add Speedsix to your Buddy List Germany
TEAM

Now you know why they called them corncobs chuckle

Under Construction

My works
27.04.2012 00:40 Send an Email to Royaloakmin Search for Posts by Royaloakmin Add Royaloakmin to your Buddy List Canada

quote:
it took me a bit longer to understand your joke about the dogs. The crankcases indeed look like a fire hydrant.

unschuldig unschuldig unschuldig  Große grinsen

=====================
Ärgern
27.04.2012 04:52 Send an Email to airgoon Search for Posts by airgoon Add airgoon to your Buddy List Canada
Kartonist

HI Fred,

sorry to correct you, but the real "corncob engines" had 4 rows of cylinders. No wonder they tended to incinerate, especially the last row...
And I admit: No, I do not want to build a Boeing Stratocruiser with 4 of them, that´s 112 cylinders or 224 sparkplugs. Große grinsen Augen

Regards, Martin

27.04.2012 11:13 Send an Email to Speedsix Search for Posts by Speedsix Add Speedsix to your Buddy List Germany
Kartonist

Well, now I see that it was a good idea to glue the cylinder bases right away. Dogs will feel so confused that they will, hopefully, choose something else  Große grinsen Thanks, Martin, I'd never get this masterpiece of Norm's sense of humour unschuldig
You get a corncob be "upgrading" a Double Wasp into a Wasp Major but I'm not interested in a Stratocruiser, either!
@Gerd - building the cylinders is an ongoing battle! But I'll get there smiley

You probably noticed that the cylinder heads have a peculiar shape at the top, on both sides. The objective is to adjust small cylinders where the rods are to be glued. Each cylinder has 4 parts (body, tops and inside tab) and there are two per head. In all, 288 parts! They would be much easier to assemble if printed on very thin paper. The standard FlyModel (and other publishers) paper can not bear such a small bending radius and delaminates. I'm used to the phenomenon but it is not to my taste. It takes more work than necessary and yields worse results than would be possible from thinner paper. As usual, the inside tabs were replaced by paper rolls.

Tigercat-C016.jpg Tigercat-C017.jpg

27.04.2012 14:30 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal

Hi Ric,

I printed my Ticat on my own paper that I got from a local printer called "Cougar Bond, excellent stuff. I like it even better than the Halinski paper.
You can't get anything with a smoother surface.
With that material I had no problems with delaminating or poor rounding characteristics.

I also found that many of the re-inforcement rings (formers) were redundant and I could save myself a lot of work just by leaving them out.

But then again - I never got anywhere near your quality of workmanship...!

Greetings,
Norm

=====================
Ärgern
28.04.2012 01:43 Send an Email to airgoon Search for Posts by airgoon Add airgoon to your Buddy List Canada
Kartonist

Hello Norm,

Yes, I noted that you scanned your original copy and printed. It would surely help with the small cylinders. I always try to use the original parts and didn't scan the kit, which is not very clever...
Regarding the formers, I didn't use them as the kit says Augenzwinkern

Fitting the engine caps was easy because, as you know, I had already cleaned up the path. The result gives some funny pictures.

Tigercat-C018.jpg Tigercat-C019.jpg

03.05.2012 14:52 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
TEAM

It is amazing consistency, Ricardo! Clap Clap

Under Construction

My works
03.05.2012 15:06 Send an Email to Royaloakmin Search for Posts by Royaloakmin Add Royaloakmin to your Buddy List United States
Kartonist

Hi Ricardo,

At first glance I thought you had made 72 cylinders and were going to choose the best 36! chuckle

Kind regards,

Adam

Abandoned: Kawanishi N1K2-J Shiden-kai - Halinski - 1:33 , HMS Abdiel - Answer - 1:200
03.05.2012 15:24 Send an Email to Goroda-san Search for Posts by Goroda-san Add Goroda-san to your Buddy List Czech Republic

Actually, I didn't even put the caps on because they can't be seen after adding the cowlings unschuldig unschuldig unschuldig
(Notice the greatly inferior building quality... rotwerden )

airgoon has attached these images (downsized versions):
IMG_0785.jpg IMG_0788.jpg

=====================
Ärgern
03.05.2012 23:20 Send an Email to airgoon Search for Posts by airgoon Add airgoon to your Buddy List Canada
Gerd Gerd is a male
Kartonist

Hello Ricardo,
What an impressive army of cylinders. Can order some from your factory for my next plane?  Große grinsen
Greets
Gerd

04.05.2012 07:56 Send an Email to Gerd Search for Posts by Gerd Add Gerd to your Buddy List Germany
Kartonist

@ Fred - well, these cylinders, particularly the heads, were easier to assemble than those of the Zero unschuldig
@ Adam - unfortunately no, Adam Keine Ahnung So, I have none in stock to sell traurig Augenzwinkern
@ Norm - I notice that you didn't bother about the intake and exhaust pipes, either. By the way, with fixed cowlings, they would be completely invisible! I hope to make the cowlings detachable...
@ Gerd - maybe so smiley But they will be expensive  Große grinsen rotwerden Prost

Logically, the next task would be in the cylinder’s central sections. However, after a nasty surprise with another model, I decided to assemble the engine cowlings, just to check if the engines would fit inside…

Tigercat-C020.jpg Tigercat-C021.jpg
Tigercat-C022.jpg

04.05.2012 15:08 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
Kartonist

You can choose between "caution is the better part of bravery" and "a forewarned man is worth two". The truth is that the middle part of the cylinders had to be trimmed by 1mm, in order to fit inside the cowlings. The amount might be smaller with different assembly methods but, anyway, it is wise to check carefully before it is too late!
The pictures show the final stages of engine assembly, before getting on to the plumbing.

Tigercat-C023.jpg Tigercat-C024.jpg
Tigercat-C025.jpg

07.05.2012 14:44 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
Kartonist

Sooo neat!
Clearly a subject to strive towards. I got that kit too, your building report will help me to avoid many potential pitfalls.

Highest regards,
Martin

07.05.2012 23:41 Send an Email to Speedsix Search for Posts by Speedsix Add Speedsix to your Buddy List Germany
Kartonist

Thanks, Martin Prost

The plumbing I referred to in the last post has two parts: valve actuating rods and air intake and exhaust tubes.
For the rods, as they are very thin, I used wire. The assembly was easy because I had already opened the holes in the engine cores, before assembling them. So, I cut slightly longer than needed pieces of wire, inserted the ends into the holes, put some white glue on top and glue them to paper rolls that have been shown before. The wires are not bonded to the engine core. They are guided, only, and offer no resistance if it is necessary to make a fine tune on the cylinder orientation. Otherwise, the weak link would be at the top and is pretty sure that many of them would fail and need to be redone...

Ricleite has attached this image (reduced version):
Tigercat-C026.jpg

08.05.2012 14:33 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
TEAM

Yowsers! Back side too. Augen

Under Construction

My works
08.05.2012 15:36 Send an Email to Royaloakmin Search for Posts by Royaloakmin Add Royaloakmin to your Buddy List United States
Gerd Gerd is a male
Kartonist

Hello Ricardo,
Your are celebrating the art of building engines. Theay are looking great.
Greets
Gerd

09.05.2012 08:53 Send an Email to Gerd Search for Posts by Gerd Add Gerd to your Buddy List Germany
Kartonist

Thanks, Fred and Gerd smiley

The biggest plumbing task has to do with air intake and exhaust pipes. I used paper rolls, with a wire inside. The wire serves to fix the shape of bends, and there are plenty of them! The pipes of the front cylinders are forced to deflect, in order to pass on the free space between the rear cylinders.
And presto, we have engines!

Tigercat-C027.jpg Tigercat-C028.jpg
Tigercat-C029.jpg

09.05.2012 14:40 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
Kartonist

Show-off...

chuckle chuckle chuckle

09.05.2012 14:54 Send an Email to Goroda-san Search for Posts by Goroda-san Add Goroda-san to your Buddy List Czech Republic
Reinhold Reinhold is a male
Kartonist

Registration Date: 05.01.2011
Herkunft: Gäufelden-Tailfingen / Baden Württemberg

Hello Ricardo,
Clap Two Thumbs Kinlade Augen Du bist Groß Du bist Groß Du bist Groß
Highest regards, Reinhold

Im Bau
Lilla Weneda in 1:250 als Wasserlinien-Modell Augenzwinkern
09.05.2012 16:18 Send an Email to Reinhold Search for Posts by Reinhold Add Reinhold to your Buddy List Germany
Mainpirat Mainpirat is a male
Kartonist

Registration Date: 08.08.2009
Herkunft: Wegberg

Hello Ricardo,
your work on the engines is fascinating Two Thumbs .
Regards
Mainpirat

09.05.2012 20:28 Send an Email to Mainpirat Search for Posts by Mainpirat Add Mainpirat to your Buddy List Germany

quote:
Show-off... chuckle chuckle chuckle

Adam, you're killing me...!!! chuckle chuckle chuckle

=====================
Ärgern
09.05.2012 20:38 Send an Email to airgoon Search for Posts by airgoon Add airgoon to your Buddy List Canada
Kartonist

Good humour, friends  Große grinsen

This Tigercat kit includes a drop tank, two bombs and eight rockets. The pictures show the rocket construction. The nose has a double curvature, which needs some kind of cheating to model on paper. The approximation can be made by a series of truncated cones or by slices protruding from the base, as is done here. In general, I prefer the first solution. FlyModel generally prefers the latter. I think it gives a worse finish, even when resorting to the inside paper roll trick, as seen in the picture.
My preference for truncated cones has a quantitative basis that, for those who like maths, can be put into equation.
The goal is to choose which method (cones or slices) minimizes the total length of joints. To put the two methods on equal terms, the quality of approximation, measured by the deviation angles between adjacent surfaces, must also be equal. This rule enables the number of slices to be related to the number of cones for the actual surface shape to be modelled.
I suspect that the slice method is better only for almost hemispherical heads. For more elongated heads, such as those rockets, I bet that the cones method is better. Well, it's a free challenge for amateur mathematicians who suffer form mild symptoms of insomnia...

Tigercat-C030.jpg Tigercat-C031.jpg

10.05.2012 14:48 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
Kartonist

quote:
To put the two methods on equal terms, the quality of approximation, measured by the deviation angles between adjacent surfaces, must also be equal. This rule enables the number of slices to be related to the number of cones for the actual surface shape to be modelled.

Kopf kratzen Kopf kratzen Kopf kratzen

Whatever works for you!  Große grinsen

Kind regards,

Adam

10.05.2012 19:49 Send an Email to Goroda-san Search for Posts by Goroda-san Add Goroda-san to your Buddy List Czech Republic
Kartonist

Maybe, Adam, but I think that easing the modeller's work should always be an objective for the publishers. The bottom-line is that we are paying them Augenzwinkern

The only difficulty in the gas tank has to do with the part that surrounds the tank at half-height. Otherwise, it is a simple set of truncated cones. The tops are modelled by the slices method. As they are nearly hemispherical, the method worked well.

Tigercat-C032.jpg Tigercat-C033.jpg
Tigercat-C034.jpg

11.05.2012 14:50 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
Kartonist

quote:
I think that easing the modeller's work should always be an objective for the publishers.

If this resulted in more of us achieving results like yours, then I agree completely! Prost

Kind regards,

Adam

11.05.2012 19:27 Send an Email to Goroda-san Search for Posts by Goroda-san Add Goroda-san to your Buddy List Czech Republic
Kartonist

To complete the arsenal, the bombs were missing. They are two and here they are. The pylons are not symmetrical. The asymmetry is to compensate for non-horizontal wings. Because these pylons cover up a good part of the joints in the bodies of the bombs, I choose to turn them up.

Tigercat-C035.jpg Tigercat-C036.jpg

15.05.2012 14:51 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
TEAM

Ricardo, i have a sequencing question, did you add the white tab strip to the main bomb body before or after you rolled the main bomb body into a cylinder?

Under Construction

My works
15.05.2012 15:04 Send an Email to Royaloakmin Search for Posts by Royaloakmin Add Royaloakmin to your Buddy List United States
Kartonist

@Fred - the white parts on the picture were added by me, as the kit didn't include them. I find it better to glue the tab strip after rolling the main body. Access to glue is not as good but you don't strain the paper. That would be very significant here, as the radius is small.
Sometimes, I have to trim a bit of the tab but that is not a problem.
The gluing is not made in a single step, in order to reduce the probability of glue mysteriously appearing on unwanted locations Augenzwinkern

Well, I think you all know how I model the tires. Anyway, pictures show them. This time, for a change, the drawing came out in blue...

Tigercat-C037.jpg Tigercat-C038.jpg

16.05.2012 14:51 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
Kartonist

Halinski, for example, usually dedicates four parts to each airscrew blade: one for each face, one paper roll to give volume and shape to the base and a strip of paper, to add thickness and a smooth finish on the base.
Fly-Model choose to forget the roll paper and to model both faces in one piece. This second option is justified because the leading edge is straight in much of the extension. The difficulties appear at the ends of this stretch. Cross section changes from a nearly 180° fold to two sheets glued together. As the paper thickness and stiffness are not zero, there is a discontinuity in the way. I did what I could to hide it.
The lack of a roll was much easier to solve. I made a few with varying diameter, to better fit the blade shape.

Tigercat-C039.jpg Tigercat-C040.jpg

17.05.2012 14:41 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
Kartonist

The airscrew hubs are modelled as a paper roll. They would be fine if printed on thin paper and so shaped that, after rolling, result in hemispherical noses. As it was not the case, I opted for plan B, which consisted of making proper paper rolls and paint them. I painted them in light grey instead of silver, as Fly-Model did the same in other parts. I took part of the original, where the blades are to be glued, because it has printed detail.
Another shortcoming is the connection of the blade base (flat) in the centre, which is cylindrical with a small radius. No, it doesn’t fit very well. I limited the need for filling using a grey cardboard circle and two additional parts, as seen in the second picture.
The blades were glued without any jig. As they are just three per airscrew, it was not necessary to reinvent the wheel...
We already have what makes the plane move, the wheels and the most aggressive part of the load. The "only" missing detail is the plane itself!
In other words, after the annoying work, comes the harder and, hopefully, funnier part.

Tigercat-C041.jpg Tigercat-C042.jpg
Tigercat-C043.jpg Tigercat-C044.jpg
Tigercat-C045.jpg

18.05.2012 15:26 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal

Hi Ric,

these blades are a work of art!

Greetings,
Norm

=====================
Ärgern
18.05.2012 15:32 Send an Email to airgoon Search for Posts by airgoon Add airgoon to your Buddy List Canada
Kartonist

Hi Ricardo,

I like what you did with the airscrew hubs. Top-notch! Thumb

Kind regards,

Adam

18.05.2012 15:39 Send an Email to Goroda-san Search for Posts by Goroda-san Add Goroda-san to your Buddy List Czech Republic
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is a male
Kartonist

Registration Date: 28.08.2009
Herkunft: bei Bremen

Hello Ric,

another superb result !

Thanks for the detailled description of your work !!

Curmudgeon
18.05.2012 20:08 Send an Email to Curmudgeon Search for Posts by Curmudgeon Add Curmudgeon to your Buddy List Germany
Kartonist

Rick,

you are tackling the parts first I like to defer to the latest possible moment. Respect!
The results are impeccable, cardboard modeling at it´s finest.

Regards, Martin

19.05.2012 13:39 Send an Email to Speedsix Search for Posts by Speedsix Add Speedsix to your Buddy List Germany
Kartonist

Thank you, friends Prost

@ Martin – well, you may find it odd but I regard the past work, except the airscrew blades, as not very risky. I like to begin with this kind of work. It gives me time to think about and properly plan the really “dangerous” tasks Augenzwinkern

The cockpit is much less detailed than on the newer Halinski models. As the canopy is small, visibility is not fantastic. So, a lower detail level is pretty acceptable. The print quality is also not in the top. A lot of grain can be seen in the enlarged picture. The last “curiosity” regards holes in front of the dashboard. They would have been much easier to cut if they were round!

Tigercat-C046.jpg Tigercat-C047.jpg
Tigercat-C048.jpg

21.05.2012 14:48 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
Kartonist

Hi Ricardo,

Still a good-looking cockpit, with instruments that look like actual instruments despite the weird holes.

Kind regards,

Adam

21.05.2012 15:30 Send an Email to Goroda-san Search for Posts by Goroda-san Add Goroda-san to your Buddy List Czech Republic
Frettchen Frettchen is a male
Kartonist

Registration Date: 02.09.2009
Herkunft: Krefeld

Hi Ricardo,

I follow your construction report with pleasure, because you show us a very fine and clean build of your actual plane. Thumb

Alfred, das "Frettchen",

der vorwiegend militärische Flugzeugmodelle aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg,
aber auch Jets aus der Nachkriegszeit baut,
zwischendurch aber auch sich an einem Schiff vergreift,
und zu dessen "Untaten" ein paar Panzer gehören

demnächst: Messerschmitt Me 262A-1, Halinski, 1:33

FERTIG: HMS Repulse, Fantom Model, 1:300

Meine Werke
21.05.2012 17:06 Send an Email to Frettchen Search for Posts by Frettchen Add Frettchen to your Buddy List Germany
Kartonist

Thanks, Adam and Frettchen smiley

If there is anything to report on the pilot's seat, is the lack of seat belts! I hope to find a usable belt set on another kit, like Halinski’s Mustang. The seat looks very similar.

Tigercat-C049.jpg Tigercat-C050.jpg

22.05.2012 14:16 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
TEAM

Ricardo, you are going to build the plane at the last minute, right? chuckle

Under Construction

My works
22.05.2012 17:30 Send an Email to Royaloakmin Search for Posts by Royaloakmin Add Royaloakmin to your Buddy List United States
Gerd Gerd is a male
Kartonist

Hello Ricardo,
It is a real pleasure to follow the progress of your model.
The engines and wheels are great.
Regards
Gerd

23.05.2012 08:35 Send an Email to Gerd Search for Posts by Gerd Add Gerd to your Buddy List Germany
Kartonist

Thanks, Gerd smiley
@ Fred - No. The last minute is to hang the ordnance  Große grinsen

With today’s pictures, and not counting the seat belts, the cockpit is complete.

Tigercat-C051.jpg Tigercat-C052.jpg
Tigercat-C053.jpg

23.05.2012 14:43 Send an Email to Ricleite Search for Posts by Ricleite Add Ricleite to your Buddy List Portugal
Kartonist

Soooo neat!
Seeing this office is a real pleasure. Thumb

23.05.2012 17:05 Send an Email to Speedsix Search for Posts by Speedsix Add Speedsix to your Buddy List Germany
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Kartonist.de » Luftfahrt » Abgeschlossene Bauberichte » (FERTIG) F7F Tigercat - FlyModel - 1/33

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6 pl2, Developed by WoltLab GmbH